Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Crabby in Krabi, Thailand

For the last 10 days I've been in Krabi, Thailand being frugal and watching the rain fall. It has rained everyday I've been here. For the first time in my life, I've seen it pour rain for two straight days -- everytime I looked outside, I was astonished at how heavy it was raining. Occasionally, the power goes out because of the rain, and ironically, sometimes the running water stops (figure that one out). With no money and nothing to do outside, I end up spending most of my days reading and writing and sitting (plenty of that).

I read The Princess Bride -- forgive me for not knowing it was a book first -- but it was an excellent read. At least equal to the movie, but my loyalty will always be with the movie.

I'm not a great writer, probably an even less talented poet, but I like poetry, so here is a joke poem I wrote while sitting on a bench watching it rain.

An hypothetical image of a flooded Boston.

King of the Rain

A ceiling of clouds hang in the sky
I'm no meteorologist, so I don't know why,
But it rains everyday, from noon until noon,
And I doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Puddles become ponds, and ponds become lakes
And I wish it'd stop raining -- jeez, for Pete's sake!
The lakes become oceans and continue to rise
So I'm riding a boat that I hope won't capsize.

Call me a cynic, but I purchased that boat
Long before houses were surrounded by moats.
When the time was just right, I went sailing through town
Picking up friends, but let the rest of them drown.

With such limited room, just what could I do,
And I needed that flat-screen and the pool table too,
And thirst quenching beer, along with a distiller.
"Chad, try this grain alcohol, it's literally killer."

My days now revolve around the moon and the tides.
Me and my friend, we long for antediluvian times.
Of times when we'd grab a beer at the bar
Or go for a stroll or just hop in the car.

But now that I think of it, the rain's not half bad.
For one, my social status has increased just a tad.
My friends are so close, and I'm king of this realm
As I rock in my boat while manning the helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment