Monday, August 1, 2011

A Rundown of Gili T Island

I'm on Gili Trawangan, Gili T for the lazy or unsure, or GT for the brain damaged.

Gili T is one of three islands on the north east part of Lombok, which is just east of Bali, which is in the middle of the Indonesia archipelago, which is in the southern most portion of Southeast Asia (SEA for short), which is on planet Earth, which is revolving around the sun in an eight planet solar system (sorry Pluto), which is one of billions of solar systems in the Milky Way Galaxy, which is merely one galaxy of probably trillions all racing around in an unfathomably expansive, potentially limitless, universe. Picture it. It's nice. (I wish this paragraph had a purpose, 'cause it took a good amount of time to write, and now you've read it, and it still doesn't have a purpose).

In the course of traveling, sometimes I happen upon tiny paradises where I take vacations from traveling. (Ugh, as if traveling is very stressful, so I don't kid myself that I need a vacation from anything. But I don't have any problems indulging -- I seem to be pretty good at it really). Gili T is one of these places. Olhkon Island in Russia, most of Mongolia, Yangshuo in China, Ha Long Bay in Vietnam, 4000 Islands in Laos, and Tonsai Beach and Pai  in Thailand are other examples. All of these places have a slower pace of life, exhibit a beautiful scenery, and often attract a certain type of traveler that I get along well with. Perhaps that's why I subjectively label these places "paradises".

The most notable thing to do in Gili T is scuba diving, as the nutrient rich currents support the flourishing coral reefs and sea flora and fauna. The diving here is great if you can wake up without a hangover, since quite literally Gili T moonlights as a chill party island. Today, as I write this, Ramadan starts, and things quiet down considerably, which hopefully gives me some relief from the night life.

Being a party island also means that Gilians frequently ask if you want marijuana, and bars openly advertise the availability of "fucking crazy, shoot you to the moon" magic mushrooms. To be honest, that is nothing out of the ordinary for a remote party island in Southeast Asia.

As I walked back to my room the other evening, every Indonesian guy on a bicycle pedalling past offered up the obligatory, "Hello, weed?". To which I often reflexively say, "No, thanks," before checking myself on the silliness of it. As if someone trying to sell me drugs should be politely told "No" in a country where government signs say "Using illegal drugs is punished with the death penalty". Maybe I'm just bitter I haven't received a "You're welcome" back.

The island is governed by a village chief, and there aren't any permanent police on the island, although some sort of police/military presence occasionally visits the island. As for the locals using drugs, people turn a blind eye as along as the users aren't affecting the experiences of the tourist community. Apparently a "three strikes and you're out" rule of law is in effect for any locals breaking this rule.

Unfortunately, for turning a blind eye to drugs (crystal meth being the major villain), a few Indonesians have significantly diminished their collective brain cell count. These are the "street crazies", as travel author Jack Parkinson calls them. I've seen a few fights between locals while strolling back from the bar and I'm not sure if they started out of boredom or cracked out states of mind or petty arguments over who will creep out the Western girl at the bar. So maybe that is why I always say "No" politely to the guys selling drugs -- I'm feigning mutual respect and get to carry on my way in peace.  All I'm saying is that I'd rather be polite than punched in the face. Call it economics.

Anyway, sometimes I can't help but take the liberty to laugh at the crazier things I've seen these street crazies do. As I ate lunch the other day, a guy did some trance-like jig on the beach then climbed a tree and started meowing like a stranded cat. A family with two young kids watched in awe, and I saw the look on their mother's face contemplating how she was going explain that behavior to her nine year old children. Nothing like a real life example to show kids the consequences drug abuse can bring.

As for me, I'm going to focus on diving and snorkelling for a few days and give my liver time to recover. I did my first 30 meter dive the other day, also my first drift dive. The current was frighteningly fast compared to the dives I've done previously, and I've been told that it can get a lot worse. If I muster up the funds ($40 USD!?), I'll rent a camera on one of the dives and post pictures of the psychedelic other-worldly drug-free landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment