Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pai in the Sky

Getting to Pai from Chiang Mai requires navigating the 762 S-shape curves up and down the mountains. By no means will a driver ever drive any slower than breakneck speeds or overtake at any time other than during a blind curve. First, wear your seatbelt. Second, bring a iPod so you can drown out the wretching of any passengers puking into plastic bags. NOTE: If someone ralphs in the next bus I take, I will have observed the rarely seen in the wild "Consecutive bus ride of Puking" trifecta -- maybe it will be me.

But after all the dizziness of getting here, its obvious that Pai is worth the trouble. Isolated by lush jungle forests and roller-coaster like mountains, Pai is a small town of around of around 2500. For about 7 USD you can stay in a quiet bungalow village that is set apart from the main part of town by the river (see below; photo totally ripped off of Google Images). Unfortunately, my first night I spent in a dingy room in the center of town. I'm paraphrasing a little, but the Lonely Planet says travelers can do anything here from relaxing to... relaxing.



 
Anyway, the scenery here has inspired me a little, so I wrote a few poems that I'll share.

A Dingy Room
A dingy room is contageous --
Pushing its oppressive mood
Onto one in Stages --
So I've left to get some food.

For Worst or For the Best
If you had a talent
That no one else possessed
Do you think it'd change you
For worst or for the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment