Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Setting Sail for Indonesia

I have spent the last week in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur. That's a long time to spend in a city, even a tourist oriented city, which KL isn't. Of all the big cities I've been in, I've only spent more time in Seoul, South Korea at 10 days (but I was adjusting to some mild culture shock and homesickness), and then Beijing for 10 days (but there are a seemingly limitless number of worthy palaces, parks, markets and museums to warrant such a long stay). But KL's great attraction for most people? Shopping malls. (For me, it was the wealth of cheap Indian cuisine). So numerous in quantity are the malls and each so enormous in size I refuse to agonize on an exact number that I, the non-shopper, walked through. At least 10 painfully expansive malls. Kuala Lumpur is so overgrown with malls I'm going to start promoting the nickname "Malla Lumpur".

If you know me even remotely, you know I am not a shopper. I'm also on a travelers budget, so I can't really afford much even at black market prices unless my haggling skills are honed, not to mention in a mall where the prices are fixed. (I should note that after nine months of traveling in Asia, buying things for a fixed price seemed other-worldy). On top of that, the tourist attractions in KL are generally unimpressive compared to a lot of other things I've seen in Asia, and an ambitious traveler can check those boxes in two days time.

Petronas Towers at night. At the foot of the towers, surprise!, an enormous mall. 
So I had a miserable time in KL, right? The complete opposite. I'd like to say that some of the recognition should go to the fantastic people at Sunshine Bedz (of which Maggie made me promise I'd stay at when I arrived in KL -- thanks Maggie). But in all honesty, every once in while a traveler is fortunate to cross paths with a person or people that completely and positively alter their experience of a place. So when the time came to depart the unexciting city of Kuala Lumpur, I looked out the window of the train feeling out of sorts to be by myself again, while dwelling on an oft repeated travel saying that I feel is no more appropriate than for my experience in KL: Its not the places you go, but the people you are with. 


Yet, my traveler's mindset and momentum is gradually coming back, if only because its what I want to do with my life right now.  I am excited for the unknowns and challenges I expect to find while sailing to Indonesia and then exploring the islands in Sumatra. There is a crew of four, and the captain, Alex, all sailing on his 13 meter boat that has an odd name of Bubbles. The captain tells me that there are a few things to prepare before we can leave, but it is possible we leave as soon as tomorrow evening. I look forward to telling you all about it when I finally get internet access again.

Bubbles in the Langkawi Harbor.
UPDATE and CORRECTION: Just spent the evening with part of the crew and Alex, and a previous crew member of Bubbles during the previous two months. First, a correction, there are three crew (Chris, Kris, and me, all male) and the captain. The previous crew member is now putting the final touches on a multimillion dollar yacht bound for Cuba, which the owner has been restoring for the last three years after it wrecked off the coast of Burma. He invited us all back to this monstrous 43 meter yacht, and it put Bubbles to shame, sorry to say it -- I felt spoiled a little. But I feel more confident knowing a previous crew member and that the captain keeps good company and talks shop well with the other captains. 

1 comment:

  1. So you're sailing to Madagascar ?
    What a plan ! Awesome. If you meet some pirates don't worry, just pretend you are a pirate too (some kind of sword can help).

    ReplyDelete