Monday, October 31, 2011

Graffiti is Legitimate Art in Perth

One of the few things that I've noticed in Perth is the enormous amount of spray paint that  covers nearly every available space (at least compared to what I'd expect to see it in the USA). To me, the most noticeable aspect is that "graffiti" is considered a legitimate and appreciated art where someone, in one way or another, made their wall space available for someone else to decorate -- so the artist can work without being hassled by the law. The result: Graffiti that finally has an opportunity to become street art, and people who see it in a positive light. I think that is pretty cool.  The two pictures below, of a street mural in Fremantle, are one of my favorite, and I think one of the most detailed I've seen.







I estimate that I've passed thousands of graffiti tableaux in Perth, just riding the train a short stretch in and out of the suburbs.  I've promised myself that I will go for a graffiti hunt to photograph all the ones I've located from the train (and beyond), but the daunting undertaking has keep it merely a promise.

However, there is enough street art around that I've been able to snap a few photos while carrying my camera around for other reasons. I've added a separate album (Perth Street Art) to capture what I've photographed so far, and hopefully I get around to posting more pictures of this impressive street art in the future. For now, check out the small collection, here

No comments:

Post a Comment